Tuesday, August 25, 2009

ABC and 123

UPDATED!! I forgot some pictures in the original post.
Here's some pictures of the activities we have been working on over the last week and this week.
Marlee knows her colors very well, so I challenged her to find the color of beads to match each number from her number puzzle. The we went back and said each number and counted each bead. She really liked the file folder game. She counted the number of animals at the zoo and found the number card that matched.


Here are the A and B pictures from last week. They painted apples and A's. We made the A's into alligators. M colored and glittered 2 B's and we cut them out to make a butterfly. We added eyes and an antenna after I took this picture. I stopped C's activity with just coloring and adding glitter.

I got the idea for this scrap paper activity from here. Marlee really enjoyed making different pictures and then gluing them down.

For the letter C, we made a caterpillar and clouds and read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Little Cloud by Eric Carle. The other picture is of some books we read last week and are still reading this week. We've been talking about feelings and sharing, too.

I ordered 3 books off of Amazon.com last night. I had seen the Animal ABC book in stores and saw it reviewed on this website. I know that M and C will enjoy all of the pictures. This phonemic awareness book had lots fun stuff that I think will fit in with our daily routines.

I actually bought this book instead of the one above. Oh, well. I think it will work, too. If I like it, then I'll go back and buy the other one.



I used Chicken Soup when I interned in Kindergarten. I loved the flow of the book. It will get stuck in your head.
I also got a subscription to Family Fun Magazine. I had a few moms suggest it. It is full of fun activites for your family. You can get a year subscription (10 issues) for only $10. If you're interested, you can access the online order here.

I forgot to add these pictures in the orginal post. M and C love to do puzzles. So we spread a bunch of puzzles on the floor. I found my magnetic letters and numbers in my school stuff. I got two cookie sheets and they went to town. I didn't do anything formal with them. I just let them explore. We'll probably just start with letter and number recognition.


4 comments:

Elizabeth Lyng said...

I would love to know how the Phonemic Awareness books works for you guys and if you'd recommend it after trying it out.

I noticed your apple paintings - very cute. We are doing an apples unit right now, and I found this website game that's good for counting and number recognition. My C likes to be on the computer sometimes "like Mommy" does, and I figure Marlee does too :)

http://www.akidsmath.com/whnos/appcount10.htm

Karin said...

So cute, Kelly!! I need to try some of these things with Matthew. He is already counting to 10 and saying part of his ABC's. He loves animals, so it might be good to try. You are so creative!!

Kelly said...

Thanks for the link Elizabeth. I actually bought a songs and rhymes book. If I like it, I may go back and buy the other one.

Thanks, Karin! It helps to keep Marlee busy. Cooper just tags along. Plus, it gives me my "teacher fix".

The Kings said...

I have so much stuff for phonemic awareness, you will have to look through my stash on your next visit. Oh, tell M I love the B butterfly!!
BTW: it is Roseola...ugh.