Friday, May 29, 2009

How Rude?!?!

Most schools systems finished up last week or this past week. We've been under clouds and clouds of rain. That combined with two small children makes for early bedtimes and one too many glasses of wine for me! HA HA

Last week my friend invited the kids and me to a great indoor playhouse. She's in a playgroup, and some of those moms and kids were there in addition to a few other moms and kids. Not crowded. Not busy. Not loud. Fun. Fun. Fun.

Well, this week we tired again. Crowded. Busy. Loud. No fun. No fun. No fun (for me anyways). Apparently this is the place to be in the summer when it's too hot or raining outside. Granted, this is a play area for kids of all ages. We got there right as it was opening and the parking lot was filling up. There was a group of moms meeting with their preschool aged to school aged kids.

Now, I'm not that protective of a parent. I do make my kids wash their hands and try and teach manners and so forth. Also, outside of going to the park, M and C haven't been about large groups of kids in confined places. But, I was floored at the behavior of other kids and more importantly, the parents of those kids!

M hung with some kids her age and followed some older ones around. She struggled some going up the little steps to the top of the slide. The older school age kids bulled her over every time! With some parents watching and some too busy socializing with their girlfriends. HOW RUDE!?!?!

Other kids were climbing up the slide while kids were trying to go down, while moms watched. HOW RUDE!?!?!

All adults and kids must wear socks for sanitary reasons. Some kids took off their socks for better traction climbing, while moms watched. HOW RUDE!?!?!

And finally, the thing that got me the most...They have a toddler section with small toys for little ones to enjoy the fun too. Right beside it is a inflatable jumper with a BIG sign that says 4 and Under on it. Also, these two areas are right beside the row of chairs that all the moms hovered over. These were the two safe areas that C could play and not get hurt. Yeah right!!! Big kids were all over the place! I was afraid to put him down for the fear of an older child trampling over him. All the while moms watching and talking to each other. HOW RUDE!?!?!

I talked to the same girlfriend who had invited us the week before and we both asked the same question: What is the capacity for this place? I felt it was too full and the kids were too wild. I will be that mom who keeps (at least tries to keep) their children under control in environments like that!

All I can say to those parents is, HOW RUDE!?!?! Get your kids under control!

3 comments:

Brooke and Patrick said...

Scary! I wanted to let Collin try it but I am not sure now. Maybe when school is back in session.

The Kings said...

You tell 'em! Hope you got your money back. I would call and speak to the manager and ask your question regarding capacity and explain what happened. The one bouncy place that we've been to for bday parties always has an attendant or two walking around monitoring the kids (b/c of course the parents don't). Do that have that at your place? Hope it works out so you feel safe and can keep taking the kids!

Danielle said...

I have said this for years - I wish other people cared about how their kids were acting as much as I do. Those places are crazy. We had a similar incident yesterday at a playground. Some little boy kept kicking R in the face on the way down the slide (b/c R was going down and the other one kept standing on it in his way and would life his foot in R's face). T and K went over and told the little boy to leave their brother alone and the kids made a smart remark to them and kept right on going. T is 9 and K is 7 and this boy might have been about 5 and could have cared less. But b/c my boys are repectful they politely took R and walked away all while this little boy was yelling not very nice things at them - and no parent in sight I might add. Makes me sad really!