Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thankful


As the 7th anniversary of September 11th comes to a close, I wanted to take some time to reflect on life. As a teacher, I look to find teachable moments. So, on each 9/11 I share a book called the Fireboat with my class. It tells the true story of a retired New York fireboat names the John J. Harvey and how it came to the rescue of New Yorkers in need. I always get emotional when sharing the book and reflecting on the events of that day. I got to school today and pulled it out, flipping through the pages and looking at the illustrations remembering where I was and what I was doing 7 years ago. I stopped and thought, many of my current students were not even born yet! How their lives are forever changed because of one day. It struck me as odd. I thought about the innocence of their age and how they are so unaware of life before 9/11. I just felt I didn't want to change the image of a beautiful life through their eyes. I know as a parent you want to protect your child from the harsh world for as long as possible. So, I decided against the teachable moment, and allowed my students another blissful day of childhood.

Our school chose to use this day as a Hero Celebration day. When I dropped the students off at the cafeteria for lunch, there were several local Heroes there to greet the students and talk with them about their jobs. When I picked the kids up, one came running up to me with a piece of paper with autographs from the Heroes in the cafeteria. We hung the paper up in the room when we got back. We talked about why they were there and why we call them Heroes. I was thankful my school chose to remember this important day the way they did; honoring those who put their lives on the line for us everyday near and far.

So, I want to say Thank You to ALL of the Heroes out there that protect our children and keep us safe. From a mom who's thankful for another blissful day of childhood.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Lyng said...

Beautifully written. Heroes come in many forms...thank YOU for making a difference in childrens lives as a teacher!